Below are summaries of past projects sponsored by the Trucking Human Resource Sector Council Atlantic. Interested in more information? Please contact THRSC Atlantic.
- One Journey Metro (2009 – 2010)
This program focused on getting individuals into careers as professional truck drivers in the metro region in Nova Scotia. We worked with 20 individuals to achieve their goals removing both social and economic barriers to employment. This included a rigorous screening and training to industry standard. All were successful completing the program; with a 90% employment rate in the trucking industry and the remaining 10% employed in other sectors.
- One Journey Metro (2010 – 2011)
This program focused on getting individuals into careers as professional truck drivers in metro region in Nova Scotia. We worked with 28 individuals to achieve their goals removing social and economic barriers. This included a rigorous screening and training to industry standard. We had 3 participants not complete the program; remaining 25 completed – 22 are working in the trucking industry; remaining 3 employed in other sectors.
- One Journey 2011
This program focused on recruiting individuals to a career as a professional truck driver with focus in the Amherst and Kentville regions in Nova Scotia. We worked with 12 individuals to achieve their goals removing social and economic barriers. This included a rigorous screening and training to industry standard. Employment statistics are being gathered on this project.
- Targeted Initiative for Older Workers (2010 – 2011)
This program focused on working with older workers (age 55+) wanting careers as professional truck drivers. We worked with 17 participants; 5 did not complete for various reasons (of the 5; 3 are employed full time); of the 12 who achieved their Class 1 – 11 are employed full time in the trucking industry with 1 unemployed.
- Organizational Needs Assessment for the Trucking Industry
A research report identifying critical areas of focus for essential skills training in the Trucking Industry. Consultation took place throughout the trucking industry over a three month period with an independent consultant. The report will guide the industry over the next five (5) years with a breakdown of key occupations and key needs.
- Essential Skills Women in Trucking
This was the completion of our first 40 hour program focused on women in the trucking industry. This was a direct response to the ONA and focused on communication skills. Largely successful; participants are keen for the next program to be offered.
- Employer of Choice Model
This project is designed to identify key components for an employer of choice program specific to the Trucking Industry. The model has been developed and will be piloted before being launched to the trucking industry Summer 2011. With 5 key cornerstones to the model – communication, culture, creating rewards, connection and competitive practices – the program clearly reflects the wants and needs of the industry.
- Tobacco Cessation for the Trucking Industry
This project is designed to develop tool kits specific to the needs of the trucking industry around tobacco cessation. It also provides resources to employers to better support and enhance services offered to employees who want to quit. With distribution in excess of 1500 kits; people are interested in quitting; people are starting the process – the goal is to create awareness and get people thinking about attempting to quit.
- Native Council of Nova Scotia
This project allowed us the opportunity to support aboriginal people who wanted to get into careers as professional drivers in the industry. We would like to increase the number of Aboriginal People entering the trucking industry; it is recognized that building partnerships with this group is as critical as increasing the number of participants in the industry.
- Professional Driver Certification
This project resulted in the development of the Professional Driver Certification program that recognizes professional drivers for their years of service to the Trucking Industry.
- Older Worker Recruitment and Retention Strategy
These combined projects have started to build a framework on how the Trucking Industry must adapt to the needs of their aging workforce. It also recognizes the value in recruiting and hiring older workers interested in careers in Trucking.
- Attracting Equity Groups to Occupations in the Trucking Industry
This project provides the strategy to recruit equity groups into careers in the Trucking Industry.